Up until pretty recently, men’s skin care was not something that many businesses (or individuals) thought about. Today, skin care is just as important for men as it is for women. That said, it’s not always easy for men who haven’t worried about the health and vitality of their skin before to learn about all the most important tips and strategies, as well as the best skin care products for men.
That’s why we’re here. In this guide, we’re going to break down all the essential information you need to understand and practice a good skin care routine for men. So, let’s get started!
How Men's Skin Care Products Are Different
It would be easy to assume that men's and women’s skin care is the exact same, but that could not be further from the truth. As a man, your skin often has unique needs that are the result of unique biological and behavioral traits. Let’s look at just some of the ways that skin care for men is different:
- Oil - Higher levels of testosterone frequently result in greater oil (sebum) production. This can make issues like acne more common among men, requiring ingredients like silica and citronella to manage oil production without clogging pores.
- Thickness - Generally, men’s skin tends to be anywhere between 20% and 30% thicker than women’s skin. Consequently, men’s skin care products need to be stronger, with more potent active ingredients capable of penetrating a thicker layer of skin.
- Hair - Not only can larger amounts of facial and body hair trap dead skin cells and oil, but shaving the hair can also increase the risk of skin irritation. For this reason, it is important for men to use high-quality shaving cream, after-shave balm, and ingrown hair treatment as needed.
- Aging - Men’s skin ages differently, often leading to deeper and more profound wrinkles. As a result, men’s anti-aging products typically focus on firming processes and deep wrinkle reduction.
- Fragrance - While the scent of a product rarely impacts its efficacy, men often desire different aromas than women. This means that men’s skin care products are usually combined with more traditionally “masculine” fragrances.
What Should Be In A Men's Skin Care Routine
There is no “one-size-fits-all” skin care routine for men. However, there are a few steps and products that can be extremely beneficial for the vast majority of men. Here are a few easy ways to maintain your skin’s health:
- Daily Cleaning & Exfoliation - To ensure that your skin looks and feels its best, you should cleanse your face with a quality cleanser at least once daily. Additionally, you should use an exfoliating scrub to wash away dead skin cells and unclog pores.
- Eye Cream - Many men prefer to focus on the face as a whole, but targeting different areas with the right products can help improve your overall appearance and address specific issues. Eye cream is particularly useful for combatting certain signs of aging (like undereye circles).
- Serum Application - Prior to using moisturizer, serums can allow you to do spot treatment for a wide range of issues, from wrinkles to hyperpigmentation.
- Careful Shaving - Even if you don’t need to shave daily, it’s a good idea to address facial hair regularly and use quality shaving cream and after-shave balms to prevent ingrown hairs, avoid razor burn, and leave your skin feeling hydrated.
- Personalized Moisturizing - Your moisturizing routine should be personalized to meet the specific needs of your skin. For example, if your skin tends to produce a lot of oil, you still need to moisturize, albeit with a moisturizer designed to calm and smooth oily skin. Alternatively, if you have very dry skin, you’ll want to use a heavy-duty moisturizer.
- Sun Protection - Finally, if you spend any time out in the sun, you need to think about protecting your skin. Fortunately, many skin care products and moisturizers come with sunscreen (often lower SPF ratings) already included.
Facial Skin Care For Men
There are a lot of different products to address men’s facial skin care, but if you’re just getting started, you may want to focus on the basics. So, let’s take a closer look at some of the best cleansing, moisturizing, and anti-aging products for men:
- Cleanser - A high-quality cleanser should be the foundation of your skin care routine. You can use this product once in the morning and once at night to remove surface impurities and revitalize your skin.
- Scrub - As the name implies, a quality facial scrub is usually more intensive than a cleanser, because it is designed to exfoliate, fight ingrown hairs, and clear pores. You can use a scrub on your face daily or even just a few times per week, depending on your particular needs.
- Wipes - Exfoliating wipes offer a quick and easy way to cleanse, exfoliate, and brighten skin in between more comprehensive cleansing and scrubbing. Wipes with glycolic acid are particularly beneficial, as they can help reduce the appearance of fine lines and hyperpigmentation.
- All-Purpose Moisturizer - An all-purpose facial moisturizer offers the perfect way to hydrate your face, while also giving your skin the natural vitamins and antioxidants it needs to look and feel great.
- Sun Protection - If sun protection is a concern, then using a two-in-one moisturizer and SPF day cream could be the perfect solution for you.
- Hydration Mask - A traditional moisturizer may not be able to open your pores on its own. With a good hydration mask, you can stimulate your skin to repair itself and restore lasting hydration.
- Anti-Wrinkle Serum - Unlike more general treatments designed to improve hydration, an anti-wrinkle serum makes the skin firm and plump, reducing wrinkles and fine lines in the process.
- Vitamin A Treatment - Not only does your skin need Vitamin A to thrive, but a quality Vitamin A skin treatment can help reduce signs of aging by promoting elasticity and boosting collagen production.
- Eye Cream - Sometimes, a full-face moisturizer may not be enough on its own to address signs of aging around the eyes, like dark circles or crow’s feet. Fortunately, a quality eye cream can moisturize the skin surrounding your eyes and work as a targeted spot treatment at the same time.
Shaving Products For Men
Whether you maintain a full beard or you like to keep your face clean-shaven at all times, you’ll want to invest in a few quality shaving products for men. Below you’ll find useful information on what to use for shaving, as well as the best pre-shave and post-shave products:
- Pre-Shave - Prior to shaving, it’s often best to use a deep facial cleanser. Alternatively, if you just want to trim your facial hair, you should consider a beard wash and beard oil to keep your beard clean, detangled, and tidy.
- Shave - While shaving or trimming your facial hair, you should use antiseptic shaving creams or gels to protect your skin and avoid razor burn.
- Post-Shave - There are plenty of great products to use after shaving. Some can offer general hydration (after-shave balm), while others can address more specific issues (ingrown hair treatment or beard tamer).
Men's Body Care
Though it’s normal to focus on the health of your face, you shouldn’t ignore body care as a man. Thankfully, there are plenty of effective ways to keep all of your skin firm, well-hydrated, and healthy:
- Shower - Some of the best shower products for men include exfoliating soap bars, as well as hair and body washes that offer enhanced cleansing solutions.
- Post-Shower - After you get out of the shower, you don’t want your skin to get overly dry, oily, or sweaty. To combat these problems, some of the easiest solutions are quality deodorants and body creams.
- Treat - Finally, if you want to deal with specific body skin issues, you can try hand creams and body scrubs, both of which prevent dry, rough skin.
Want to learn even more about men’s skin care? If so, be sure to check out the great products and solutions available at Anthony today!