Oily skin is one of the most common skin care issues faced by men. After puberty, the production of the skin’s natural oil (sebum) is greater in men than it is in women. As a result, many men struggle with shiny-looking skin, clogged pores, and a wide range of issues associated with excess sebum production. And if you’re fighting oily skin, we know that it can be a real struggle.
Sometimes you think that you can just wash away the oil with a good shower, but if you’ve tried this, you know it doesn’t really work. Even worse, many men assume that excess sebum is a sign of too much moisture in the skin, so they forego moisturizers entirely. In fact, taking more showers than usual or stopping moisturization can actually worsen oily skin!
So, you may be ready to throw your hands up and accept that your skin will always be oily — but we urge you not to give up. There are ways to reduce oiliness and help your skin look better than ever before, especially if you know the right moisturizer to use. But if your oily skin has you frustrated, you probably have a lot of questions that need to be answered first. For instance, what causes oily skin? How can you know if your skin is “too” oily? What is the right men’s skin care routine for oily skin? How often should you use a face moisturizer to reduce oiliness? Finally, what is the best men’s face moisturizer for oily skin?
In today’s guide, we will answer all of these questions and more, so let’s get started!
What Causes Oily Skin In Men?
Why is my skin so oily? If you find yourself asking this question, we can definitely sympathize. While oily skin is directly linked to the overproduction of sebum, there are underlying reasons why your face and body may be producing more oil than usual. Here are a few of the most common reasons men struggle with oily skin:
- Hormonal Changes - Fluctuations in hormone levels are most common during the teenage years, which is why many teenagers and young adult men struggle with oily skin. However, changes in hormones can occur at virtually any stage in life, and these changes may increase sebum production.
- Genetic Predispositions - While it may be frustrating, you could be genetically predisposed to have oily skin. If you’re unsure if this is the cause, talk with your parents and other family members to see if they currently have issues with oily skin, or if they have had issues at any point in their lives.
- Overwashing - Contrary to popular belief, washing your skin frequently and roughly does not alleviate oily skin. Your sebaceous glands often respond to frequent washing with even more sebum production, exacerbating the problem.
- Underwashing - Washing infrequently won’t help oily skin either. While underwashing may not directly cause more visible oil, it can increase the chance of having other problems associated with oily skin, such as acne breakouts.
- Diet - While more research is needed to understand the connection between diet and skin health, it is well known that processed and fried foods have a negative impact on the skin. That said, everyone’s skin reacts to food differently. You may find that eating specific foods causes your skin to look shinier than usual.
- Stress - When you feel stressed, your body releases cortisol, which can affect how much sebum you produce.
- Environmental Factors - If you live in a hot or humid environment, you are more likely to experience oily skin. This means your location could force you to work harder to reduce your skin’s oil production.
- Medications - Certain medications can affect the pH levels and appearance of your skin. Be sure to talk with your doctor if you suspect that a medication is causing your oily skin.
- Low-Quality Skincare Products - Using bad skincare products or products that are simply not right for your skin type can worsen oily skin. This is why it’s so important to study your skin and try different products to see which ones work best for you.
How To Know If You Have Oily Skin
Most men experience oily skin from time to time, but it’s not always easy to know if your skin is too oily or oily too often. Here are some signs to look out for if you think you might have oily skin:
- There is a persistent shine on the face (sometimes a greasy look), particularly in the T-zone (forehead, nose, and chin)
- Pores are large enough to see in the mirror without examining your face closely
- You experience frequent acne breakouts; frequency varies from person to person, but having regular breakouts could mean a breakout every day or a few breakouts per month
- When you blot your skin with tissue paper, there are oil stains left on the paper
These may not be the only signs of oily skin, but they are the most common for men. If you’re unsure about your skin’s oiliness or you think there may be an underlying issue causing excess oil, consider speaking with a dermatologist for more information.
How & When To Use Face Moisturizer When You Have Oily Skin
This is the trickiest part to determine, as it can vary from one person to the next. Most men with oily skin should try to use a light face moisturizer every day (potentially once in the morning and once in the evening). However, you may get better results if you moisturize once every other day. It all depends on the composition of your skin.
In general, it’s a good idea to use a face moisturizer every time you cleanse your face. Whether you use a cleansing wipe or a facial soap, you should pat your face dry and then apply a small amount of face moisturizer. Most men will want to focus on an oily nose, forehead, and chin, but if you have oiliness in other areas of the face, be sure to apply the moisturizer to those parts as well.
Best Men's Face Moisturizer For Oily Skin
Guys who need help with oily skin — the solution has arrived! It’s often not enough to get a generic moisturizer that claims to be good for oily faces. Instead, you need to get a formulation that specifically targets oily skin to absorb oil, reduce the size of pores, and leave you with a clean, matte finish. If this is what you’re looking for, then you need to check out Anthony’s Instant Fix Oil Control.
As the name implies, you can see results with our Instant Fix Oil Control formulation instantly. By simply applying a small amount to the areas of your face with excess oil, you can reduce the appearance of oil by stopping it at the source. This face moisturizer utilizes natural ingredients like orange peel, citronella, and silica to absorb oil and improve the overall appearance of your face in minutes. At the same time, the product contains Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, which works as an emollient to soften the skin and make it look refreshed with each use. Plus, this isn’t just a short-lived result. When you use Anthony’s Instant Fix Oil Control, you can expect an oil-free appearance all day long!
Want to learn even more about men’s face moisturizers for oily skin? If so, be sure to check out the great products and solutions available at Anthony today!