After shave balm (sometimes known simply as “aftershave”) has been around for years, but unless your father or another male figure in your life specifically taught you about its benefits, you may not really know what it is, what it does, or even how it works. To millions of men, post-shave balm is a bit of a mystery. You might know that you’re supposed to use it, but why? What does it actually do? Is it really necessary? Lastly, if you’re in the market for a men’s post-shave balm, where can you find a high-quality product at an affordable price?
In today’s guide, we will answer all of these questions and more, so let’s get started!
What Is After Shave Balm?
As the name implies, after shave balm is a type of soothing ointment that you apply to your face after you finish shaving. The ingredients can vary based on the brand and manufacturing processes, but after shave balm frequently includes natural ingredients like rosemary and eucalyptus. These ingredients can help enhance the underlying function of the after shave balm and make for a better shaving experience.
In some ways, after shave balm has been around for much longer than you might think — though not necessarily in the same nice packaging you can find today. Shaving practices date all the way back to the ancient world, and many of the shaving practices we use today, including the application of after shave balm, are thousands of years old. For example, ancient Egyptian men commonly applied oils after shaving their faces, while ancient Romans used medicinal concoctions that worked as natural antiseptics to prevent infected cuts or scrapes.
In 1709, an Italian inventor used some of these ancient recipes and infused nice-smelling fragrances that would appeal to the “modern” gentleman. This turned out to be the unofficial birth of aftershave as we know it today. Since then, “aftershave” has been adapted to include a wide range of products, including after shave balm.
What Does After Shave Balm Do?
While there are many different types of aftershave, after shave balms tend to focus on soothing and relaxing the skin after shaving. However, quality after shave balms can do a lot more than that. For example, many after shave balms are designed to:
- Moisturize the Skin - After shave balm is a quick and easy way to moisturize skin that has recently been exposed to a shaving razor. When you shave, you’re essentially tearing at the skin with a sharp object, which can leave your skin dry and peeling. An after shave balm can help prevent this dryness whenever you shave.
- Provide Antiseptic Protection - Shaving can be a dangerous activity if you’re not careful. It’s not uncommon to accidentally cut yourself. Even tiny cuts can get infected, but using after shave balm is a great way to reduce the risk of infection.
- Leave a Pleasant Aroma - Most after shave balms have pleasant and alluring fragrances for men. This can improve the overall shaving experience and leave you smelling great after every shave.
- Reduce Razor Burn - Razor burn is a huge bother, especially for men who have to shave daily. After shave balms’ soothing effects can help stop razor burn before it starts. Even if you’re already experiencing razor burn, the balm can soothe any irritation and minimize the appearance of red or bumpy skin.
- Enhance Skin Texture - Even if you’re super careful when you shave, you may not like the way your skin looks or feels when you’re done. Your skin may feel irritated, bumpy, inflamed, dry, or all of the above. It might also have a very dull appearance. Quality after shave balms can revitalize the skin and make it look fresh and clean.
After Shave Balm Vs After Shave Lotion
If you’re shopping for some type of aftershave, you’ve probably come across after shave balm and after shave lotion. Generally speaking, they both do many of the same things, but there are some important differences to consider:
- Texture - In most cases, after shave balm has a thicker texture, while after shave lotion has a lighter or creamier texture.
- Ingredients - After shave lotion usually includes alcohol, which can enhance its antiseptic properties. Alternatively, after shave balm includes more natural oils for enhanced moisturization.
- Absorption - Lotions tend to be absorbed more quickly than balms, but this can vary from one product to another.
Many of the differences between after shave balm and after shave lotion come down to the ingredients. If you want something that provides greater moisturization, you’re likely better off with an after shave balm. On the other hand, if you want something that the skin will absorb a bit faster, a lotion may be the superior option.
How To Use After Shave Balm
Using after shave balm is extremely easy. Just have it nearby when you’re ready to shave and then follow these simple steps:
- Shave your face as you normally would, preferably using a pre-shave cleanser and quality shaving cream
- After you finish shaving, rinse away any remaining shaving cream
- Pat your face dry with a clean towel
- Apply a small amount of after shave balm to your fingertips and gently rub it into the skin of your face (using circular motions); make sure to avoid the eyes
- Reapply the balm as needed
While it’s not a requirement, it’s usually a good idea to follow after shave balm with a good facial moisturizer. This step will depend on your skin type and personal preferences. For example, if you have very dry skin, you may want to apply the balm, wait a few minutes for your skin to absorb it properly, and then apply the face cream of your choice. Alternatively, if you have oily skin or large pores, you may not want to add extra moisturizer on top of your after shave balm, as it could end up clogging your pores and trapping excess oil.
Do You Wash Off After Shave Balm?
No, you shouldn’t wash off after shave balm. It is meant to be absorbed into the skin so that you can enjoy all of its soothing, moisturizing, and antiseptic benefits. However, there may be some instances where washing off after shave could be applicable. For instance, if you apply too much product, you may want to wash off excess balm so that it can be absorbed properly without leaving behind any residue.
The Best Men’s After Shave Balm
Are you looking for the absolute best men’s after shave balm on the market? Do you want a lightweight after shave balm that provides enhanced soothing effects and moisturization? Finally, do you need an after shave balm that is specifically designed for men? If so, Anthony’s After Shave Balm is the answer.
With Anthony’s After Shave Balm, you get a soothing and cooling effect thanks to a variety of natural ingredients, including botanical oils, rosemary, corn mint, and eucalyptus. Our formula also infuses Vitamins A, C, and E to further enhance the appearance of your post-shave skin. Not only will our product help keep your skin looking fresh and well-hydrated, but it will also fight away razor burn and redness with every shave!
Want to learn even more about after shave balm for men? If so, be sure to check out the great products and solutions available at Anthony today!