A lot of men feel overwhelmed when they start to look for quality face care products. You may be unsure which ingredients will work well for your skin, or even what kind of products you need. Fortunately, a vitamin C facial serum is a great choice for the vast majority of skin types. In fact, vitamin C serums are one the best ways to rejuvenate your face, brighten your skin, and even out your pigmentation over a relatively short period of time. The best part? It’s scientifically proven to work!
But if you’ve never tried a vitamin C facial serum before, you likely have a few questions. For instance, what exactly does it do? How and when should you apply a vitamin C facial serum? Finally, where can you find the best vitamin C serum for men?
In today’s guide, we will answer all of these questions and more, so let’s get started!
What Is Vitamin C Facial Serum?
Vitamin C facial serum is a skin care product that is infused with vitamin C to take advantage of its natural antioxidant properties. This is most often done via magnesium ascorbyl phosphate, which is a water-soluble form of vitamin C. While magnesium ascorbyl phosphate is less potent than L-ascorbic acid (another form of vitamin C), it is more stable and does not run the risk of irritating the skin. Additionally, it is just as capable of providing the desired “rejuvenation” associated with a facial serum.
Benefits Of Using Vitamin C Serum On Your Face
There are many benefits of using vitamin C serum, particularly for the health and appearance of your skin. Here are just a few of the most common results you can expect:
- Increased Collagen Production - Collagen is a protein that makes up the foundational structure of your skin. It also gives your skin its natural elasticity, and is frequently associated with looking “young.” This is because collagen production decreases as you age, which is part of what causes wrinkles. Vitamin C boosts the production of collagen, maintaining firm skin and reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Protection From Free Radicals - Free radicals are like “rogue” cells that can cause damage to your skin and accelerate the aging process. As a potent antioxidant, vitamin C helps protect your skin from free radical damage, helping it look better for longer.
- Brighter Skin - Without vitamin C, you may find that your skin lacks brightness. Adding vitamin C facial serum to your skin care regimen can brighten your skin and make it look naturally refreshed and rejuvenated.
- More Even Skin Tones - A variety of factors can lead to excess melanin production and hyperpigmentation. This condition causes a part of the skin to appear lighter or darker than the surrounding skin. Fortunately, vitamin C inhibits the enzyme responsible for melanin production, helping to fade hyperpigmentation and create a more even skin tone.
- Faster Healing - Even if your skin has been damaged by sun exposure, free radicals, or an underlying medical condition, vitamin C can help speed up your skin’s natural healing processes.
- Greater Sun Protection - Vitamin C works to counteract the damage caused by excess exposure to the sun’s UV rays. This, in turn, can help fight premature aging. When used with sunscreen, vitamin C can even complement and bolster its protective properties.
- Reduced Redness and Inflammation - Vitamin C is also a natural anti-inflammatory. When applied to the skin, it can help reduce redness and inflammation, particularly among people with conditions like acne or rosacea.
When To Use Vitamin C Serum
Vitamin C facial serum can be applied one to two times per day. The frequency will often depend on your skin type, as well as your overall skin care routine. While vitamin C serum is often most beneficial when applied in the morning, it can also be applied at night.
The natural antioxidants present in vitamin C serum are what make it a great addition to your morning skin care regimen. By potentially neutralizing free radicals, the serum can help you have greater protection from UV rays and even pollution throughout the day. So, after cleansing your face in the morning and allowing it to dry, consider applying 1-2 pumps of vitamin C facial serum. Always remember to follow the serum with a good moisturizer and, if you anticipate sun exposure, additional sun protection.
Alternatively, you may prefer to use vitamin C serum at night. This may be beneficial if your skin takes time to absorb skin care products, as you can allow it to be absorbed overnight and fully enjoy the restorative and protective effects the next day. But whether you apply it in the morning or at night (or both), always remember to use a moisturizer or night cream afterward.
How To Apply Vitamin C Serum On Your Face
Applying vitamin C serum to your face is pretty straightforward, but it’s still important to prepare your face prior to the application and moisturize adequately afterward. To make sure that you apply it correctly, feel free to follow this step-by-step guide:
- Cleanse Your Face - You should always start by cleansing your face with a quality cleanser. This will remove any built-up dirt or oils on your skin. You can rinse off the cleanser with warm water and then pat your face dry with a towel. Make sure that your face is fully dry before proceeding to the next step.
- Apply the Serum - Add 1-2 pumps of the serum to your hand and spread it thoroughly over your face, neck, and chest. You may choose to focus on certain “problem” areas. For example, if you’re struggling with acne or crow’s feet, you may choose to spread the serum generously over these spots. Just remember that you shouldn’t need more than 1 or 2 pumps, even if you want to apply the serum to relatively large areas.
- Wait For Absorption - Allow your skin to absorb the serum. This generally takes no more than 5 minutes.
- Apply Moisturizer - Once the serum has been absorbed, apply your moisturizer of choice. This helps seal in the serum and keeps your skin hydrated. If you’re applying the serum at night, you can use your favorite night cream as a substitute. Alternatively, if you anticipate sun exposure, make sure that you’re using a day cream with SPF 30 protection.
It’s also important to consider how you store your serum. Generally, it’s a good idea to keep vitamin C facial serum stored in a cool, dark area. For example, you might want to keep it in a medicine cabinet or a drawer in your bathroom. This is important because vitamin C can oxidize easily, which can actually decrease its potency. Excessive exposure to light, heat, or air (via a loose-fitting cap) could reduce the shelf-life of the product.
What Makes Vitamin C Serum The Best?
Responsibly made in the United States, Anthony’s High Performance Vitamin C Facial Serum is among the best serums for facial rejuvenation on the market. It is specifically designed to make use of antioxidants, polypeptides, and AHAs, all of which support the production of collagen and help your skin cells regenerate faster. To make our serum even more appealing, it is clinically proven to show results in as little as two weeks. Tested by dermatologists, the High Performance Vitamin C Facial Serum is extremely effective and safe to use on a daily basis. And to ensure safety for all consumers, it contains absolutely no sulfates, parabens, phthalates, GMOs, DEA, triclosan, or gluten.
Want to learn even more about vitamin C serum for face rejuvenation? If so, be sure to check out the great products and solutions available at Anthony today!