Have you ever woken up in the morning, looked in the mirror, and seen a dried, cracky face looking back at you? If so, you probably need to think about upping your moisturizing game. People have been putting moisturizer to good use for thousands of years, but many modern men are still behind the times. And if you fail to moisturize adequately, you’re inviting a lot of problems into your life.
So what is so special about moisturizing? Why is facial moisturizing beneficial for men in particular? How often are you supposed to moisturize? Finally, where can you find high-quality moisturizers for men at affordable prices?
In today’s guide, we will answer all of these questions and more, but first, let’s look at just a few of the reasons that you should moisturize your face:
Why Men Should Moisturize Their Face
As a man, you may think that your skin is strong enough to withstand whatever life throws your way. But at the end of the day, skin is skin, and everybody’s skin needs to be moisturized to one degree or another. Here are some of the top benefits of adding a moisturizer (or two) to your face-care regimen:
- Well-Hydrated Face - Even though women tend to be more proactive about moisturizing, it’s actually men who have the greatest need for facial hydration. On average, men’s skin is 2x to 3x thicker than women’s skin, which can also make it more prone to excessive dryness or oiliness, depending on a variety of genetic and environmental factors. In either case, a good moisturizer can help hydrate your skin and substantially reduce these issues.
- Younger-Looking Skin - Your skin will naturally age with you, but certain things like diet, smoking, drinking, and even sun exposure can accelerate the aging process. Fortunately, you can fight the signs of aging with moisturizer, which helps reduce the appearance of wrinkles, fine lines, and age spots.
- Safer Shaving - Every time you shave, you strip your skin of the natural oils it needs for protection. This, in turn, increases the risk of razor burn, skin irritation, and ingrown hairs. If you moisturize before and after shaving, you can help keep your skin feeling fresh and healthy.
- Softer Skin - When you’re not moisturizing regularly, your skin is far more likely to look and feel uncomfortable. It may have a rough texture, whether you’re struggling with overly dry or overly oily skin. Moisturizing every day (or at least a few times a week) can help soften your skin while also minimizing the appearance of blemishes or discoloration.
- Greater Protection - The sun may be a great source of Vitamin D, but too much can spell disaster for your skin and your overall health. Moisturized, hydrated skin will have a strong protective barrier against the sun, particularly if you opt for a moisturizer with SPF protection. Plus, moisturizing regularly can help protect you from conditions like eczema or dermatitis.
How Often Should You Moisturize Your Face?
We know you’re busy, but moisturizing your face can take as little as 30 seconds. Everybody has an extra 30 seconds somewhere in their schedule, so if possible, you should try to moisturize at least once or twice a day. To make it easier, many men moisturize when they first wake up in the morning and then once again before they go to bed.
However, the composition of your skin and various other factors can affect how often you should moisturize. For example, if you have extremely dry skin or you take frequent hot showers, you may find it necessary to moisturize more than twice a day. Alternatively, if your body does a good job of maintaining a healthy balance of natural oils, you may only need to moisturize a few times per week (though this is less common).
You’ll also need to think about how often you’re shaving. Moisturizing once in the morning and once at night is enough for most men, but what if you decide to shave sometime during the day? If you do, you may need to do a quick moisturizing session before and after you shave to avoid irritation.
Should You Moisturize Your Face At Night?
Yes! You should absolutely moisturize your face at night. Most men just need a dab of night cream or even an all-purpose moisturizer that they can apply before bed. This helps counteract the natural water loss that occurs throughout the body while you sleep.
It’s also important to remember that sleep is a time when you’re body is actually working really hard to repair itself. You’re brain is resting and regaining energy, and your body is doing the same. At the cellular level, your body is repairing and replacing damaged skin. Using a nighttime moisturizer can help aid this process by providing your skin with the essential nutrients and oils it needs.
And if you suffer from dry, itchy skin, nighttime moisturizing is a must. Nobody wants to spend their nights scratching away at their face, exacerbating the problem and waking themselves up in the process. Instead, just adding a moisturizer to your nighttime regimen could help you get a more comfortable, restful night’s sleep.
Can You Over Moisturize Your Face?
Yes, you can always have too much of a good thing. Applying too much moisturizer, moisturizing too often, or failing to wash away old moisturizers regularly can all lead to problems. Most commonly, over-moisturizing can cause clogged pores, a “greasy” appearance, and even negative skin reactions.
And while we’d love to provide you with the exact number of times to moisturize each day or week, it’s just not possible. The answer is a little different for everyone. Two times per day is a good goal for most men, but you may notice that this is either not enough or even too much for your skin type. Try to experiment a little to see how your skin reacts and find a level of moisturization that keeps your skin looking healthy.
For example, if you’re moisturizing twice a day and still noticing dry, cracky skin, you may want to try three times or increase the amount of cream your using each time. On the other hand, if you notice that your skin feels greasy or heavy, you may want to dial it back to just once a day or even less frequently. And if these issues persist, don’t hesitate to reach out to your doctor or a qualified dermatologist for advice.
How To Apply Moisturizer On Your Face
We’re going to make this quick and easy for you. There are essentially just three steps required to properly apply moisturizer to your face:
- Clean your face off with a facial cleanser or cleansing towel
- Put a dollop of moisturizer on your fingertip and apply it to the problem areas on your face, rubbing your finger around in a circular motion; continue to apply moisturizer to the entirety of the face, but try to avoid the eye area unless you’re specifically using eye cream (you may also choose to “warm up” the moisturizer by rubbing your hands together prior to applying it to your face)
- Give your skin a few minutes to absorb the moisturizer before applying any additional products
The Best Face Moisturize For Men
The best face moisturizer for men will be able to hydrate your skin, reduce signs of aging, and give your face a soothed feeling — all without causing irritation. Plus, you should aim to find a moisturizer that is cruelty-free and does not contain potentially harmful components like sulfates, parabens, and phthalates. Fortunately, you can get all this and more with Anthony’s All-Purpose Facial Moisturizer!
Want to learn even more about face moisturizers for men? If so, be sure to check out the great products and solutions available at Anthony today!