Keeping your skin moisturized is one of the most important parts of men’s skincare. But if you spend a lot of time out in the sun, or even short bouts of time in intense sunlight, regular moisturizers may not be enough to get the job done right. You need protection from the sun’s UV rays, as they can dry out your skin and even lead to long-term health problems — including skin cancer. Fortunately, one of the best ways to keep your skin hydrated and protected from the sun at the same time is a men's moisturizer with SPF protection.
But is a moisturizer with SPF protection really necessary? Is it enough? What are the benefits? Does a men’s face moisturizer with SPF protection have anti-aging properties? What is the best SPF moisturizer for men? Finally, where can you find a high-quality day cream with SPF at an affordable price?
In today’s guide, we will answer all of these questions and more, but first, let’s look at what a facial moisturizer is and how it works:
What Is Facial Moisturizer?
A facial moisturizer is any kind of cream or balm designed to hydrate and soothe the skin of the face. These products typically contain various emollients (substances capable of increasing moisture levels) and are designed to be softer than creams used on the rest of the body.
For example, a body moisturizer may contain stronger components than a facial moisturizer. Why? Because the skin of the body is thicker and less sensitive than the skin of the face. This sensitivity is especially important when it comes to the sun, as UV rays can easily penetrate thinner facial skin. It’s also important to note that the skin of the body has fewer oil glands, which means that a moisturizer designed for the body simply won’t be able to address the unique needs of the face.
Moreover, the skin of your face has to maintain a delicate pH balance — and for good reason. The human face is (slightly) acidic by nature, which helps to trap moisture and keep harmful bacteria out. Tipping the pH levels of your face in either direction can lead to skin problems. Fortunately, quality facial moisturizers can help maintain a healthy pH balance.
Benefits Of A Facial Moisturizer With SPF
The benefits of facial moisturizers, particularly those that contain SPF protection, are far-reaching. Now we’ll take a closer look at all the benefits you can expect from a facial moisturizer with SPF:
- pH Levels - Overly acidic skin can lead to excessive oiliness, while overly alkaline skin can make your skin appear dry, red, and flaky. An SPF facial moisturizer restores the natural pH balance in your face, helping to keep your skin looking healthy.
- Collagen Production - The sun has a weird effect on collagen. Simply put, the sun can make collagen break down faster than usual. If your body isn’t producing more collagen, this could lead to signs of aging (more on that later). By protecting your skin with a quality SPF moisturizer, you can retain high levels of collagen, even if you’re spending a lot of time in the sun.
- Sun Protection - Over time, the sun can cause untold damage to your skin. Not only does this affect how you look, but it can also increase your chances of developing long-term health problems. Protecting your face from excessive sun exposure with an SPF moisturizer can improve the overall health of your face and skin.
- Reduced Risk of Cancer - Some of the most common problems associated with sun exposure are skin cancers. Research shows that using a moisturizer with an SPF rating of at least 15 (preferably 30) can reduce your risk of developing cancers like carcinoma and melanoma by 40% and 50%, respectively.
- Anti-Aging Properties - Whether you like it or not, the natural signs of age will begin to show up on your face at one point or another. These signs may include sagging skin, wrinkles, and discoloration, all of which can be exacerbated by sun exposure. Daily use of an SPF day cream or moisturizer can help reduce these signs of aging and keep you looking younger for years to come.
- Acne-Fighting Abilities - A lot of men struggle with acne, and one of the key culprits is poor skin care. If you’re not using a daily moisturizer on your face, you need to change that ASAP. Without a good moisturizer, you’re basically asking for more acne breakouts. Fortunately, moisturizers with SPF protection are great at creating a thin, protective layer over the top of the skin. This, in turn, reduces sebum production and fights acne breakouts before they have a chance to start.
As you can see, there are a ton of benefits to using an SPF moisturizer. If you’re currently looking for a quality moisturizer with SPF protection, you should definitely check out Anthony’s SPF Day Cream for men!
Lip Balm With SPF
When thinking about facial skincare, it’s easy to overlook your lips. But the fact is that your lips have unique characteristics that require specialized care and attention. Why? Because your lips are located at the border between the mucous membrane (the inside of your mouth) and the skin of your face. This means that your lips have no hair or sweat glands. As a result, a standard moisturizer simply will not work. Instead, you should opt for an SPF lip balm that is specifically designed to keep lips hydrated.
The lips are often the first part of the face to show signs of poor hydration, particularly after being exposed to the sun. You may notice chapped or crackly skin along the lips, a condition known as cheilitis. By using a high-quality SPF lip balm, like the advanced SPF 25 formula from Anthony, you can avoid this condition and keep your lips looking smooth and well-hydrated.
Is Moisturizer With SPF Enough?
The short answer is yes — if you’re providing your face with adequate hydration and SPF protection, it’s enough to keep your skin looking and feeling healthy. It’s also sufficient at both of its primary functions; a good SPF moisturizer can adequately hydrate your skin while also providing ample protection from the sun.
And you might be wondering, what goes on first — moisturizer or SPF? Thankfully, with a quality SPF moisturizer, you don’t even have to worry about it! Both your moisturizer and your sun protection are applied simultaneously, saving you the effort of trying to juggle multiple products. And as long as you opt for a moisturizer that has a good SPF level, you can rest easy knowing that your skin will be well protected, without the need for a dedicated sunscreen.
Can You Use SPF Moisturizer At Night?
Most SPF moisturizers are day creams because that’s when you’re going to need sun protection. However, if you don’t have two separate moisturizers, you can absolutely apply an SPF moisturizer after the sun goes down. It will not harm your skin in any way.
That said, SPF is not needed at night, so if you really want to target the specific needs of your skin, it’s best to use an SPF moisturizer during the day and a night cream or all-purpose solution at night. If you’re currently looking for a quality moisturizer to apply at night, the All-Purpose Facial Moisturizer from Anthony is a great solution for all skin types. It is also available as a duo set along with the Day Cream SPF.