It may seem foreign to associate sea kelp with skin care, but the truth is that kelp is a vital ingredient in many of the best skin care products on the market. In addition to its natural benefits for the body, sea kelp can also do wonders for your skin. It all depends on how you use it!
But if you’re skeptical of sea kelp, we understand. It’s not every day that you put something that grows in the ocean on your body! So, we anticipate a few questions. For instance, what is sea kelp and how does it benefit the skin? Does sea kelp work in tandem with other natural ingredients? Finally, where can you get high-quality skin care products that utilize skin kelp extract?
In today’s guide, we will answer all of these questions and more, so let’s get started!
What Is Skin Kelp?
Before we get into kelp for the skin, it’s important to understand where kelp comes from. As you probably guessed, it comes directly from the ocean. Sea kelp is a type of algae or seaweed that grows in shallow waters near coastlines. Kelp creates underwater “forests” that host a wide variety of biodiverse plants and animals. Kelp is farmed all over the world, but in the United States, the majority of kelp can be found in the waters stretching from the southern tip of California to the northern coasts of Alaska!
And though technically not a plant (it is something called a “stramenopile”), kelp is edible and quite nutritious. It is not as common in Western dishes, but kelp is a dietary staple in many Asian countries. It can be eaten raw, cooked, or even ground into a powder. When consumed, sea kelp has many health benefits. Plus, edible kelp contains a lot of healthy minerals like manganese and zinc.
But you don’t need to eat kelp if you don’t want to. And we’re not here to talk all about the benefits of eating kelp anyway! When it comes to skin, kelp has a lot to offer. And you might be imagining thick, slimy pieces of seaweed that you rub on your skin…but don’t worry — actual skin care with kelp is nothing of the sort!
Kelp skin care products only use kelp extract, which means that you will never have to see or touch pieces of kelp directly. Instead, kelp extract is often just one of many ingredients in skin care products designed to cleanse the skin.
Sea Kelp Benefits For Skin
While kelp may seem like a great part of a healthy diet, it can be an even better addition to your skin care regimen. Here are just a few of the skin care benefits you can expect from sea kelp:
- Hydration - Who doesn’t want well-moisturized skin? When you use sea kelp, you get the benefits of more than dozen minerals and amino acids. These work to draw moisture to the surface and keep it trapped for even longer. This means that kelp is particularly good if you struggle with dry or crusty skin.
- Nourishment - Did you know that sea kelp contains high levels of vitamins A, B, C, and E, as well as minerals like iodine, potassium, calcium, and iron? If you didn’t, now you do! These components all nourish the skin from the outside in!
- Anti-Aging - Looking young has never been so easy! Sea kelp can help protect the skin from free radicals and oxidative stress. This can reduce the signs of aging, including wrinkles and sagging skin. Sea kelp extract is one of the simplest ways to beat aging right at the source!
- Brightening - The high mineral content of sea kelp promotes a brighter and more even skin tone. It can even help to reduce the appearance of dark spots and discoloration.
- Anti-Inflammatory - Sea kelp has anti-inflammatory properties that can soothe and calm irritated skin. If you experience razor burn, you might just find that sea kelp is your new best friend. Plus, sea kelp can help treat common skin issues like acne, eczema, and rosacea.
- Skin Elasticity - The minerals and amino acids present in sea kelp support collagen production. If you’re not familiar with collagen, you should be! It’s the protein that keeps your skin looking young and firm.
- Skin Renewal - Sea kelp contains natural exfoliating properties that can gently remove dead skin cells and promote cell turnover. This can result in smoother, more youthful-looking skin.
Benefits Of Combining Sea Kelp With Sea Salt, Aloe Vera, Nutmeg & Vitamin C
We’ve already covered some of the amazing benefits of using sea kelp for your skin, but when combined with other natural elements like sea salt, aloe vera, nutmeg, and vitamin C, sea kelp becomes even more remarkable! Here is everything you can expect from combining sea kelp with each of the following natural components:
- Exfoliation - Sea salt can work as a natural method for removing dead skin cells.
- Minerals - Like sea kelp, sea salt is rich in minerals that are beneficial to the skin.
- Soothing Effects - Aloe Vera is renowned for its soothing, healing, and anti-inflammatory properties, making it a natural way to calm skin irritations and alleviate burns.
- Moisturizing - It's also a natural moisturizer that can hydrate skin without leaving it feeling oily or greasy.
- Anti-Inflammatory - Nutmeg has anti-inflammatory properties and can help heal irritated skin.
- Brightening - It's also known for its brightening properties, and can help to reduce the appearance of scars and pigmentation.
- Boosts Collagen Production - Vitamin C is vital for the production of collagen, a protein that gives your skin its elasticity.
- Brightening - Like nutmeg, it has skin-brightening properties. It can help to lighten dark spots and even out skin that looks patchy.
- Protects Against UV Damage - Vitamin C can help to protect your skin from damage caused by hours spent in direct sunlight.
When used in combination with sea kelp, these ingredients offer a balanced and comprehensive approach to skin health. They can help exfoliate, moisturize, soothe, and brighten your skin, while also protecting it from damage and promoting a smoother, more youthful appearance. Fortunately, you can get all of these combined benefits with Anthony’s Blue Sea Kelp Body Scrub!
How To Use Sea Kelp Body Scrub
It’s pretty easy to apply sea kelp body scrub, but in case this is your first time, you’ll probably want a little help. All you have to do is follow these steps:
- Lightly dampen your skin with warm water; you can do so by hand or with a washcloth
- Squeeze about an ounce of the body scrub into your hand (you don’t need to rub your hands together!)
- Begin massaging the scrub into your skin using gentle, circular motions
- (Optional) Focus on areas that are likely to need extra cleansing and moisturizing, like your hands, elbows, knees, and ankles
- Rinse away the body scrub with water
- Dry your skin with a towel and apply a body moisturizer
- Repeat up to 3 times per week or according to the recommendations of your dermatologist
And remember, if you’re currently in the market for a high-quality sea kelp body scrub that also utilizes sea salt, aloe vera, nutmeg, and vitamin C, you can’t go wrong with the Blue Sea Kelp Body Scrub from Anthony. It can take dry, unhealthy skin and make it look like a million bucks after just a few uses!
Want to learn even more about sea kelp for your skin? If so, be sure to check out the great products and solutions available at Anthony today!