f you’ve ever tried to shop online for men’s skincare or hygiene products, you know that things can get very confusing, very quickly. Every brand has different names for each product line, and it’s not always clear what certain terminologies mean. “Body scrub” and “body wash” are two terms that are sometimes used interchangeably, but they actually serve very different purposes. Moreover, they can both be important parts of your daily skincare routine.
So, if you’re like a lot of men and you’re unsure how to differentiate between body scrub and body wash, we’re here to help. But you probably have a lot of questions that need to be answered first. For example, what is the purpose of a body scrub? What does it do for the skin? How does it work? And what about body wash? Is it really that different from body scrub? Should you be using both for your own skincare and hygiene? Finally, where can you find high-quality natural body scrub and hair & body wash for men?
In today’s guide, we will answer all of these questions and more, so let’s get started!
What Is Body Scrub?
As the name implies, body scrub is a type of product that you use to quite literally scrub away debris and dead skin cells. In essence, a body scrub is an exfoliant that is specifically designed for your body, as opposed to facial scrubs and exfoliants that are designed for the gentler skin and unique chemistry of the face. Since the skin on your body tends to be thicker than the skin of your face, and men’s skin also tends to be thicker than women’s skin, men’s body scrubs need to be sufficiently strong and capable of sloughing off the top layer of dirt, debris, and dead skin cells.
Many body scrubs have a gritty texture, which helps enhance their ability to scrub off unwanted elements, leaving behind fresher, younger-looking skin. Ingredients can vary from one product to the next, though it’s often best to look for body scrubs with natural components, like sea salt or even sand.
What Does Body Scrub Do?
While body scrub is primarily an exfoliant, it does have additional uses. Here’s what regular use of body scrub can do for your skin:
- Exfoliation - First and foremost, applying body scrub will remove the outermost layer of dead skin cells. This generally makes skin look brighter and healthier. It can also help even out patches of uneven or rough skin.
- Unclogging Pores - Exfoliation works to improve the look and feel of your skin in multiple ways. In addition to clearing away dead skin, it can also help unclog pores, reducing the occurrence of body acne or ingrown hairs.
- Hydration - Many body scrubs contain essential oils or other ingredients that help prevent your skin from becoming dry and cracked. Using a body scrub can also make your skin better equipped to absorb body creams and other types of moisturizers.
How To Use Body Scrub
The exact steps you’ll need to follow will depend on the product you choose. For example, there are some “no wash” body scrubs that are meant to be wiped away with a damp cloth, though most are washed away with plenty of water. In any case, if you’re using a body scrub that does need to be washed off (which is the vast majority that you’ll find), it’s easiest to apply it in the shower.
Simply turn on the water and dampen the areas where you intend to apply the body scrub. Add a generous amount to your hands and gently massage the product on your skin using circular motions. Common areas of focus often include the hands, elbows, knees, ankles, and feet but you can apply body scrub on any visible parts of the body.
Once you’ve applied the body scrub to the skin, rinse it away and follow up with a body moisturizer. How often you should use body scrub will depend on your skin type and specific needs, but most men should try to apply body scrub 2 to 3 times per week. And remember that if you want to exfoliate your face, it’s best to choose a product that is specifically designed for facial exfoliation, as a body scrub could be too strong.
What Is Body Wash?
Body wash, sometimes known as shower gel, is a liquid cleansing agent that is often used during baths or showers in place of traditional body soap. Body washes can have a variety of formulations, but most include a combination of water, oils, and either natural or synthetic cleansers. All of these ingredients work together to break down dirt and wash away sweat and excess oil.
For some people, a body wash may be preferable to traditional soap. For one thing, body wash is easy to apply over large areas of the body quickly, as it tends to produce lather more quickly and in larger quantities than soap bars. Body washes can also have more nuanced formulations, which may be better suited for sensitive skin. It’s also important to note that many body washes can function as shampoo, potentially cutting down on the cost of additional products.
What Does Body Wash Do?
Here are just a few of the main functions of men’s body wash:
- Cleansing - Body wash is designed to clean the skin. It works with water to wash away impurities and break down any contaminants that may be present
- Moisturizing - Many body washes include ingredients that can help moisturize the skin while it’s being cleaned. However, you shouldn’t consider body washes to be a sufficient replacement for traditional body moisturizers. Instead, you should try to use the two products in tandem (more on that later).
- Aromatic - A good body wash will also function as a kind of perfume that leaves you with a pleasant smell for hours after you’ve taken a shower.
- Multi-Purpose - Some but not all body washes also double as shampoos. This means you can use the same product to wash your body and hair in the shower, saving you time and money.
How To Use Body Wash
Body wash is exclusively applied in the shower. First, you’ll need to wet your skin. Apply a dollop of body wash to your hand and lather it all over the body. Finally, rinse it away with warm or lukewarm water. If your body wash doubles as a shampoo, you can follow the same steps for your hair. You can generally use body wash one to two times a day in the morning and/or evening as needed.
Choosing The Best Body Wash & Body Scrub For Men
Choosing the best body wash and body scrub is all about finding formulations that work for your skin. For most people, it is best to look for natural ingredients that still have the strength to provide ample exfoliation and cleansing. Fortunately, you can get the best of both worlds with Anthony’s Blue Sea Kelp Body Scrub and Invigorating Rush Hair + Body Wash! These products are specifically designed with men in mind, ensuring that your skin looks, feels, and smells great throughout the day.
Want to learn even more about body scrub and body wash for men? If so, be sure to check out the great products and solutions available at Anthony today!