The thought of putting acid on your face probably doesn’t sound appealing, but glycolic acid is among the best choices you can make for your skin. Getting the right kind of glycolic acid is key, as there are different concentrations available based on your specific needs. Additionally, knowing how to properly use glycolic acid as a face cleanser will ensure that you achieve the best possible results.
But if you’ve never even thought about using a glycolic acid cleanser before, you probably have a ton of questions. For example, what does glycolic acid do for your face? Is it safe to use daily? Does it burn when you put it on? Finally, where can you find a high-quality glycolic facial cleanser for men?
In today’s guide, we will answer all of these questions and more, but first, let’s examine what a glycolic acid cleanser really is and how it works:
What Is A Glycolic Acid Cleanser?
Glycolic acid is the common name for alpha hydroxy acid (AHA), a water-soluble compound that comes from sugar cane. This kind of acid has natural exfoliating properties, which makes it a great addition to facial cleanser products. Essentially, a glycolic acid cleanser can remove dirt or oil from your face while also exfoliating the top layer of skin, promoting cell turnover, and improving the overall texture and appearance of your face.
The Benefits Of Using Daily Glycolic Cleansing
There are two facets to glycolic cleansing that need to be considered when looking at the benefits. While glycolic acid and facial cleansers can be combined for greater effect, the two components have slightly different uses and properties. First, let’s take a look at the benefits of using a facial cleanser daily:
- Removal of Impurities - As previously mentioned, a cleanser works to remove excess dirt and oils from the skin. This is one of the best ways to prevent clogged pores and breakouts.
- Gentle Cleansing - A hundred years ago, most men would just settle for hot water and a bar of soap. Today, we know that this is definitely not the best way to clean your face. The skin of your face tends to be more sensitive than the skin everywhere else on your body. Therefore, a gentle facial cleanser is necessary to clean your face without causing unnecessary damage or irritation.
- Light Exfoliation - When you use a cleansing wipe or similar product on your face, you’re essentially removing old dead cells and clearing the way for new ones to take their place. This process of exfoliation is vital for maintaining good skin health.
- Refreshed Skin - When you cleanse and exfoliate your face, you leave your skin looking and feeling refreshed. This is because you’re literally cleaning out all the junk trying to clog your pores while also helping your face renew itself.
- Prep Work for Enhanced Skincare - Cleansing and exfoliating are often the first steps to virtually all skincare regimens. Whether you want to moisturize, apply serums, or use specialized treatments, it’s almost always a good idea to let a facial cleanser work its magic first.
Now that we’ve looked at the benefits of facial cleansers, let’s look a bit closer at the specific benefits of glycolic acid:
- Deep Exfoliation - Glycolic acid takes exfoliation to a whole new level! While a cleansing wipe can remove most dead skin cells, glycolic acid can actually work to dissolve the “glue” that helps bond dead skin cells to the face. This makes them far easier to wash away.
- Stimulated Cell Growth - Glycolic acid helps your face rebuild new cells faster, which can also reduce instances of hyperpigmentation or sun spots. When your skin is able to repair itself quickly, you’ll have more refreshed-looking skin without having to wait for it!
- Soft Skin - When you use glycolic acid, you’re basically removing the dry, crusty old skin on the very top layer so that a fresh, new layer can take its place. This results in softer, brighter, more vibrant skin with each and every use. Moreover, glycolic acid also does a great job of evening out rough patches for a smoother appearance.
- Increased Collagen Production - Glycolic acid naturally stimulates the production of collagen in the face, which helps your skin maintain its elasticity. This, in turn, can help your skin look younger for longer.
- Acne Treatment - Glycolic acid is one of the best at-home acne treatments around. It has natural anti-inflammatory properties which, when working in tandem with its ability to unclog pores and make skin smoother, help reduce the effects of acne. It also has a variety of additional properties that make it a great treatment for acne. Glycolic acid can regulate sebum production, minimize the presence of acne-causing bacteria, and even reduce the number of breakouts you experience.
As you can see, there are a ton of benefits of facial cleansers and glycolic acid. So, when you combine them together, you really get a super-charged skincare product!
How To Use Glycolic Facial Cleanser
Before you start using a glycolic acid facial cleanser, you should know exactly what’s in the product. While the vast majority of glycolic acid products will have safe concentrations of acid (less than 5%), there are products out there with concentrations as high as 70%. These are only recommended to be used by dermatologists and other healthcare professionals. If you try to use a high concentration on your own, you could end up in pain with lasting damage to your skin. So, while most glycolic facial cleansers will have a safe concentration of glycolic acid, it’s always a good idea to read the packaging before you start.
Once you’re ready to use a glycolic facial cleanser, you just need to follow these simple steps:
- Splash a bit of lukewarm water on your face to allow the cleanser to spread more easily
- Squeeze a small amount of the cleanser onto your hand (about the size of a nickel)
- Apply the cleanser to your face, rubbing it around in a circular motion
- Let the product set in for about 1 minute
- Rinse the cleanser off with lukewarm water
- Pat your face dry with a soft towel
As you can see, applying a glycolic acid cleanser to the face is extremely easy. However, you should remember not to leave glycolic acid on your face for too long. Though low concentrations are generally safe to leave on for a few minutes at a time, higher concentrations can cause burning, redness, and irritation if left on the skin for even a short time. Again, always make sure to read the packaging before you apply!
The Anthony Glycolic Facial Cleanser
Are you looking for a great glycolic facial cleanser that will help provide you with softer, healthier skin? Then look no further than the Glycolic Facial Cleanser by Anthony! Our specialized formula not only provides all of the benefits outlined above with a 4.2% concentration, but it also contains calendula, chamomile, and aloe vera to provide a soothing experience for your skin. As an added bonus, it contains Vitamins A, C, and E to hydrate your face and give your skin even more of the essential nutrients it needs!
Want to learn even more about glycolic acid cleaners for men? If so, be sure to check out the great products and solutions available at Anthony today!