You’ve probably heard the word “astringent” before, but since it can have different meanings depending on the context, you may not know how it relates to skin care. Fortunately, it’s not as complicated or technical as it sounds. Astringent pads with witch hazel are simply one of the most effective solutions for cleansing your face, particularly if you have oily skin.
That said, we understand if you’re not ready to apply products with unfamiliar ingredients to your face just yet. You probably have some questions that need to be answered first. For example, what are astringent pads? How do they work? Can they help reduce acne on the face? What natural properties does witch hazel have? Finally, where can you get high-quality astringent cleansing pads to improve your skin care routine? Keep reading to find out the answers to all of these questions and more!
What Are Astringent Pads?
Astringent pads are cleansing wipes designed to encourage the contraction of skin cells and pores in the face. The pads are typically soaked in a solution with astringent properties, and may include ingredients like witch hazel to amplify its effects. Generally speaking, astringent pads for oily skin work to tighten pores, which in turn reduces oiliness and balances out the skin’s natural pH levels.
Depending on the provider, the ingredients present in astringent pads can vary. For example, many astringent pads may contain alcohol, glycerin, potassium azeloyl diglycinate, and azelaic acid, as well as more familiar ingredients like witch hazel, aloe vera, and even peppermint. Many of these ingredients can help provide a soothing effect that also reduces the risk of skin irritation. Though most people can use astringent pads to cleanse their faces, they are often most beneficial to those prone to acne or oily skin.
What Are Astringent Witch Hazel Pads Good For?
By definition, just about anything that is “astringent” is capable of causing skin pores to contract or get smaller. When your pores are large, they are highly visible, capable of producing more oil, and even more prone to becoming clogged. Therefore, the primary benefit of astringent witch hazel pads is the closure of pores that may be over-producing oil or causing uncomfortable conditions like acne. However, the benefits don’t stop there. Here are just a few of the advantages of using astringent pads with witch hazel on a regular basis:
- Less Oil Buildup - While astringent pads can already help reduce oil production in the pores of your face, witch hazel takes it a step further by removing even more oil. This can help give your face a fresh, clean appearance after each use.
- Smaller Pores - Large pores don’t just attract dirt and oil; they can also cause a bumpy, uneven appearance on the skin. With astringent witch hazel pads, you can close these pores, making them less visible and giving your skin a smoother, more consistent texture.
- Alleviation of Acne - Witch hazel is a natural anti-inflammatory that can reduce some of the symptoms associated with acne. It also possesses mild antimicrobial properties, which can help reduce the frequency of future breakouts.
- Debris Removal - Cleaning your face is vital for proper skin care, and astringent pads with witch hazel are particularly good at removing dirt, debris, and even makeup.
- Soothing Sensation - Witch hazel and other ingredients commonly used in astringent pads can leave a cool, soothing sensation on the skin. If you have any irritations, such as cuts or bug bites, astringent pads can reduce any feelings of discomfort.
It’s important to remember that astringent pads and witch hazel are generally best for oily skin. If you have dry skin, certain formulations might make your face even dryer. Before cleansing your entire face with these pads, make sure to do a patch test on your skin and look for any signs of irritation. For most people, astringent pads with witch hazel offer a great way to cleanse the face and close pores. But even if you do have dry skin, you can still use these pads regularly as long as you moisturize after every use.
Benefits Of Combining Astringent Witch Hazel With Aloe Vera, Peppermint & Azelaic Acid
As previously mentioned, astringent pads often have a lot of natural ingredients that can amplify the effects and even offer new and unique benefits. Let’s take a look at these ingredients to see how they work independently and in combination with one another:
- Witch Hazel - A flowering plant that has been used in medicine for centuries, witch hazel is a natural astringent that can make pores appear smaller. It can also reduce oil, soothe skin, and improve symptoms associated with acne.
- Aloe Vera - Aloe vera is widely known as a plant with natural healing properties. Much like witch hazel, aloe vera can soothe irritated skin and reduce inflammation. Additionally, aloe vera is known to fight infections, lighten blemishes, hydrate, and even counteract the effects of aging on the skin.
- Peppermint - Similar to aloe vera, peppermint has a cooling effect on the skin that can be quite refreshing. And like witch hazel, peppermint has antimicrobial properties to keep your skin clean and unblemished.
- Azelaic Acid - Azelaic acid can treat various skin conditions, including rosacea and hyperpigmentation. It also has the ability to lighten skin, which helps when you need to reduce redness, prevent acne breakouts, or simply even out your skin tone.
When all of these ingredients are used together, they can amplify the effects of astringent pads to close pores, reduce excess oil production, cleanse the skin, help fight acne, and ultimately leave your face feeling extremely fresh and clean.
How To Use Astringent Face Cleansing Pads
Much like traditional cleansing pads or makeup wipes, astringent pads are very easy to use. Here are the steps you should follow:
- Cleanse Your Face - Like most skin care routines, it is best to start out with a clean face. You should use a gentle cleanser to take off any dirt, oil, or impurities that might be present. Then, rinse your face with warm water and pat it dry with a towel.
- Wipe With the Astringent Pad - With one astringent pad, wipe your face. You may choose to put extra focus on areas that are irritated, but be careful to avoid touching your eyes. For most people, the T-zone (nose and forehead) is particularly important, as it tends to produce the most oil.
- Wait For Your Skin to Dry - You do not need to pat your face dry. Instead, allow the active ingredients in the astringent pads to be absorbed into the skin. Wait a few minutes for your skin to dry before proceeding to the next step.
- Moisturize & Treat Your Skin - After using an astringent pad, you should continue with your regular skincare routine. Ideally, this means you will use a quality moisturizer, serum, or treatment product. However, the exact process you follow may vary.
If you have oily skin, there’s a good chance that you’ll need to use astringent witch hazel pads every day. However, if you are new to astringent pads, you may prefer to use them just a few times per week. This way, you can see how your skin reacts before making them an established part of your skin care routine. In either case, Anthony’s Purifying Astringent Pads give you the perfect solution when dealing with acne, large pores, or excess oil production.
Want to learn even more about astringent face cleansing pads with witch hazel? If so, be sure to check out the great products and solutions available at Anthony today!