If you’ve ever taken a trip to the beach and spent too much time in the hot sun, you know that it can have a terrible effect on your skin. SPF creams and lotions are vital to help ensure that your skin remains healthy in the sun. While many men use these products to take care of their skin, they don’t always think about the potential consequences for their lips.
The skin on the lips is quite different from the skin on the rest of the body. However, it is just as susceptible to sun damage as the skin everywhere else. For this reason, SPF lip balm is a product that anyone who spends time in the sun should add to their skincare regimen.
But if you’ve never tried out SPF lip balm before, you probably have a lot of questions. For example, what is SPF lip balm? Is SPF lip balm necessary? Will sunproof lip balms help treat or prevent cold sores? How much SPF do you need for your lips? Should you use SPF lip balm at night? Finally, where can you find a high-quality SPF lip balm for men?
In today’s guide, we will answer all of these questions and more, so let’s get started!
What Is SPF Lip Balm?
To understand SPF lip balm, you first have to understand what “SPF” means. SPF stands for “Sun Protection Factor” and it is used to grade the strength and efficacy of products designed to protect the skin from the sun’s harmful UV rays. When you spend time out in the sun without SPF lip balm (or any form of lip protection), you’ll likely end up with dry, chapped lips. If the exposure is frequent and severe enough, it could even increase the risk of developing certain types of skin cancers. SPF lip balm is a specially formulated lip care product that can protect the skin of the lips from sun damage. At the same time, SPF lip balm moisturizes the lips and offers a protective barrier that can even help nourish the lips.
Here are just a few of the primary benefits of SPF lip balm:
- Protection From the Sun - The primary function of SPF lip balm is to protect the delicate skin of your lips from the harsh UV rays of the sun. The protective barrier created by SPF lip balm ensures that your lips don’t get sunburned or otherwise damaged during sun exposure.
- Reduced Dryness - Most people associate dry, chapped lips with cold weather, but they are just as common when it’s hot and sunny outside. SPF lip balm reduces dryness and prevents cracks, dead skin, and cold sores from forming.
- Prevention of Premature Aging - When it comes to aging skin, the sun is one of your worst enemies. You may want to enjoy a nice tan, but over time, a lot of sun exposure can lead to prematurely aged skin. The same holds true for the skin of your lips. Using SPF products, including lip balm, can help prevent these signs of premature aging.
- Decreased Risk of Skin Cancer - As previously mentioned, sun exposure is directly linked with a wide variety of skin cancers, particularly melanoma and carcinoma. While many people have learned that SPF suntan lotion can reduce the risk of cancer, they have not considered that the lips need to be protected, too. Since it’s not safe or advisable to apply SPF lotion to your lips (as it should not be consumed), it’s best to use a safe and effective SPF lip balm.
- Year-Round Application - Thus far, we’ve mostly focused on the benefits of using SPF lip balm when exposed to the hot summer sun. The reality is that you can (and should) use SPF lip balm year-round. The sun comes out during every season of the year, and even winter UV rays can cause damage to the skin and lips. Fortunately, virtually all SPF lip balms are formulated to be used all year long.
How Much SPF Should Lip Balm Have?
Knowing how much SPF you need can be confusing. Some people say SPF 15 is fine, while others swear by SPF 50 or higher. The CDC and most reputable sources recommend a minimum of SPF 15 for your lips and skin. However, this is just the minimum. For full protection, your lips need SPF 25, and the rest of your face and body need SPF 30. If you’re going to be in extreme conditions with extended sun exposure or you have particularly sensitive skin, you may consider a higher SPF grade for your face and body. However, in most scenarios, you can rest easy with SPF 25 lip balm and SPF 30 face and body lotions.
Do You Need SPF Lip Balm?
Yes! So many people think that their lips are unaffected by the sun, but this is absolutely not the case. You do need SPF lip balm if you spend any amount of time in the sun. Even if you don’t experience chapped or sunburned lips, you could be exposing yourself to unnecessary risk by leaving your lips unprotected. Simply adding a bit of SPF lip balm whenever you plan to spend time in the sun could greatly reduce your risk of sun damage or long-term health issues.
Does this mean you have to apply SPF lip balm every time you walk out the door? Not necessarily. It depends on your skin type and even where you live. If you have sensitive skin or you live in an area with a lot of direct sun exposure, high temperatures, and dry air, you should probably apply SPF lip balm if you plan on spending any amount of time outside. Alternatively, if you don’t have skin that’s overly sensitive (prone to sunburn) or you live in an area with limited direct sunlight, you may prefer to only apply SPF lip balm on days when you anticipate more sun exposure.
Is It OK to Use SPF Lip Balm At Night?
Yes, you can use SPF lip balm at night. It will provide the same benefits as using traditional lip balm. However, it’s not entirely necessary, since your lips won’t be exposed to UV rays after the sun goes down. So, you may prefer to save your SPF lip balm for the daytime and use a traditional lip balm before you go to bed at night.
The Best Men’s SPF Lip Balm
Do you worry about the health of your lips? Are you the type of person who spends a lot of time out in the sun? Would you like to get a quality lip balm that can protect your lips from damaging UV rays? If so, one of Anthony’s Advanced Formula Lip Balms is the answer.
Our specialized formulas provide SPF 25 protection while also nourishing your lips with Vitamin E, antioxidants, and shea butter. This way, you can rest easy knowing that your lips are protected with enhanced hydration and comfort. We offer two different advanced lip balm formulas that have different aromas based on your personal preference: Mint White Tea and Blood Orange. With either product, you can moisturize your lips, prevent cold sores, and enjoy year-round protection from the sun. Take it from us: your lips will thank you!
Want to learn even more about SPF lip balm for men? If so, be sure to check out the great products and solutions available at Anthony today!