If you’ve spent any time perusing the aisles for skincare products, you’ve likely seen “retinol” more than a few times. This is because retinol is an extremely important component in many skincare products. And, unlike harmful chemicals that some skincare companies put in their creams and treatments, retinol is completely natural and really good for your overall health.
But if you’ve never used retinol before or you simply don’t know much about this little miracle component, you probably have a lot of questions. For instance, what is retinol and how does it work? Why is retinol good for your skin? What are the best ways to use retinol? Finally, where can you find a quality and affordable retinol cream for men?
In today’s guide, we will answer all of these questions and more. So let’s get started!
What Is Retinol?
Retinol is a form of Vitamin A, which means that it can have a wide range of applications and health benefits. While you may think of Vitamin A as something you consume as part of a balanced diet (you can find it in leafy greens, tomatoes, and eggs, among other foods), it also plays a crucial role in skincare. While consuming retinol (aka Vitamin A) the traditional way can benefit your skin, it is best for your skin when applied via a topical cream, serum, or treatment.
When applied to the skin, retinol works by converting to retinoic acid via enzymatic reactions. This acid then acts as a molecular binder for specific receptors in the epidermis and dermis (the top two layers of the skin). From here, the retinoic acid stimulates and accelerates various processes that can improve the smoothness and elasticity of the skin.
Why Retinol Is Good For Men's Skin
There’s a reason so many skincare products contain retinol — it is simply one of the best vitamins you can use for your skin. Even though it is a great ingredient in products for men and women, it is particularly good for men’s skin, which is roughly 20% thicker. This thickness can make it more difficult for certain skincare products to penetrate the outer layer, which makes retinol that much more useful and necessary.
In any case, here are some of the top reasons why men should make retinol a regular part of their skincare routine:
- Collagen Production - Retinol helps boost the production of collagen, one of the most important proteins responsible for the elasticity of the skin. Collagen production naturally declines as you age, which is part of what leads to wrinkles and fine lines. Retinol can help counteract these signs of aging by stimulating collagen synthesis. This, in turn, creates smoother, firmer, and younger-looking skin.
- Cell Turnover - Though it may be strange to think about, your skin cells are constantly dying and being replaced by new ones. This is why exfoliation is such an important part of skincare. You need to clean away the layer of old cells to highlight the new cells, while at the same time making it easier for skincare products to be absorbed. Retinol speeds up cell turnover, which is the skin’s natural exfoliation process, improving the overall texture of your skin.
- Clogged Pores - Retinol won’t magically unclog pores, but it is effective at preventing clogged pores in the first place. It mainly does this by preventing dead skin cells from building up. When you have too many dead cells on the surface of your skin, it greatly increases the formation of whiteheads and blackheads.
- Discoloration - Hyperpigmentation can cause dark spots on your face as a direct result of too much melanin production. Retinol is one of the best treatments for dark spots, sun spots, age spots, and even melasma (brown or grey spots caused by hormonal changes).
- Blood Flow - Retinol can improve blood flow to the surface of your skin. Not only does increased blood flow give you a healthier complexion, but it also helps ensure that your body can repair damaged skin cells as quickly as possible.
- Hydration - Retinol-infused skincare products are often recommended for men with dry, rough skin. This is because Vitamin A helps your skin retain more moisture, making hydrating creams and treatments far more effective. If you use a cream that moisturizes the skin, you’ll get even more mileage out of the skin treatment if it contains retinol.
- Inflammation - Retinol can reduce inflammation caused by acne, dermatitis, or even family genetics. When you apply retinol regularly, you decrease both the frequency and intensity of inflammation, giving yourself smoother and less irritated skin.
- Skin Thickness - As previously mentioned, men tend to have thicker, rougher skin than women. While roughness is something that retinol can combat, it can actually help thicken men’s skin to maintain its strength. This is particularly beneficial for people who want to avoid signs of aging, as thin skin is more likely to become saggy and wrinkled.
How To Apply Retinol Facial Cream
While retinol can be used just about anywhere on the body, it is most commonly applied to the face, as that is where it can do the most good. Applying retinol face cream is extremely easy; all you have to do is follow these steps:
- Ensure that your face is clean by using a wipe or facial cleanser
- Wait a minute or two for your face to dry after cleansing
- Add a small amount of retinol cream to your finger (about the size of a dime)
- Rub the cream onto your face and neck using an upward, sweeping motion
- (Optional) If you’re applying the cream in the morning or during the day, wait roughly 5 minutes for the cream to be absorbed, then apply a day cream with SPF protection
It’s important to note that you can use retinol face creams in the morning or at night. If you have particularly dry skin, you may choose to apply retinol creams twice per day (AM and PM). And while retinol is particularly good for dry skin, it can be beneficial for just about any skin type. Many people who don’t battle dry skin still choose retinol as their go-to skincare solution because it simply offers too many amazing benefits to ignore.
The Best Retinol Cream For Men
Are you looking for a retinol cream that is best for people with normal to dry skin? Do you want a retinol cream that is specifically formulated for men? Finally, do you want your skin to benefit from all that retinol (Vitamin A) can offer? If so, Anthony’s High Performance Vitamin A Facial Treatment is the solution for you.
What separates our retinol facial treatment from other products on the market is the unique blend of active ingredients. Not only does it provide the retinol your skin needs to feel smooth, but it also contains shea butter and squalane (two natural moisturizers) to further reduce fine lines and wrinkles and enhance hydration. With Anthony’s High Performance Vitamin A Facial Treatment, you have an all-in-one moisturizing, anti-aging, and exfoliating face cream that can greatly improve the strength and appearance of your skin.
Want to learn even more about retinol for men? If so, be sure to check out the great products and solutions available at Anthony today!