For years, men have been using deodorant without thinking too much about the ingredients. If it works, that’s all that matters, right? The problem is that many men struggle to find a deodorant that delivers quality results. At the same time, most traditional antiperspirants are full of harmful components like aluminum and alcohol that can leave skin feeling dry and irritated.
However, you don’t have to just abandon deodorant altogether. Instead, you can try men’s natural deodorant and see the effects for yourself. But if you’ve never tried an all-natural deodorant for men before, you probably have a few questions that need to be answered.
First and foremost, what is natural deodorant? How does men’s natural deodorant differ from traditional deodorant? How can you tell if deodorant is really natural? What are the benefits of using a natural deodorant? Finally, where can you find a high-quality aluminum and alcohol-free deodorant for men?
In today’s guide, we will answer all of these questions and more, so let’s get started!
What Is Natural Deodorant?
Many products claim to be “all-natural,” but it’s not always easy for consumers to figure out what that really means. When it comes to deodorants, the vast majority of brands you can find at the store are not natural. Why? Because they are chock full of synthetic elements and chemicals. Many men have begun looking for alternatives, particularly as a growing mountain of research shows that synthetic deodorant can have lasting consequences for your health.
Fortunately, there is an alternative. As the name implies, natural deodorant is a form of deodorant that only uses naturally derived ingredients. It still works to neutralize body odor and leave you feeling fresh, albeit without all the harmful chemicals. Traditional deodorants (sometimes known as antiperspirants) often contain aluminum compounds that work to block sweat ducts. Though an effective way to prevent sweating, this method doesn’t always reduce odor and, more importantly, it can actually have a negative effect on your body’s natural processes.
Alternatively, natural deodorant focuses on counteracting the bacteria responsible for body odor. This way, your body can continue to go through its natural processes unhindered, but you don’t have to smell the results! It’s important to note that, while you may notice a slight increase in perspiration when transitioning from traditional deodorant to natural deodorant, you will see a decrease in sweat over time.
There are various natural deodorants out there with varying qualities and ingredients. However, many of these deodorants have the following characteristics and components:
- No aluminum compounds
- No sulfates, parabens, or phthalates
- Natural ingredients, like essential oils
Of course, there are significant variations between individual products. For instance, Anthony produces natural men’s deodorant that does not include aluminum or alcohol. Additionally, Anthony’s natural deodorant does not include GMOs, DEA, triclosan, or gluten. However, the ingredient list you find on the natural deodorant of your choice could vary greatly. The key to determining if a deodorant is truly natural is checking out its ingredient list and ensuring that all of the ingredients are naturally derived.
How Natural Deodorant Works
Since natural deodorants contain various odor and sweat-fighting ingredients, they actually work in several unique ways. Here are some of the effects of natural deodorant, along with their underlying mechanisms:
- Cutting Off Odor at the Source - As previously mentioned, chemical deodorants reduce odor by preventing the body from sweating. However, this doesn’t actually stop odor-causing bacteria from forming. Body odor is linked to sweat, but it’s not actually caused by sweat. In fact, body odor is caused by bacteria that work to break down sweat, particularly in areas like the underarms. Natural deodorants neutralize these bacteria, thereby reducing odor at the real source.
- Reducing Odor With Antibacterials - If bacteria is the cause of body odor, it only makes sense to implement natural antibacterials to fight off odor as much as possible. Many essential oils possess antibacterial components, while also offering more favorable aromas of their own. This makes them a great way to not just mask body odor, but actually eliminate the bacteria that cause it.
- Absorbing Moisture - Natural deodorants are not antiperspirants, but that doesn’t mean that they can’t reduce sweating. In fact, many natural deodorants work to reduce sweat by absorbing excess moisture (rather than blocking sweating mechanisms in the body).
- Utilizing Natural Fragrances - Essential oils and other natural ingredients often have beautiful fragrances, without the need for synthetic reproduction. By combining these ingredients with components that fight odor-causing bacteria and reduce sweating, natural deodorants can offer all of the same benefits as traditional deodorants — without all the harmful chemicals.
Why Use Aluminum-Free & Alcohol-Free Deodorants
Many traditional deodorants let aluminum and alcohol do the heavy lifting, even if these ingredients cause a lot of unnecessary harm and discomfort. If you’re currently on the fence about switching to a natural deodorant that is aluminum and alcohol-free, here are a few things to consider:
- Health Concerns of Aluminum & Alcohol - Aluminum compounds in antiperspirants have been linked to a wide range of health issues, including breast cancer and Alzheimer’s disease. While alcohol in deodorants may not have these kinds of severe consequences, it does dry out the skin, which can lead to unnecessary irritation and chafing.
- Environmental Impact - Though you may not know it, your store-bought deodorant could be making global warming worse. This is because the chemicals in synthetic deodorants release VOCs (Volatile Organic Compounds), which contribute to the formation of smog.
- Skin Sensitivity - Aluminum and alcohol can cause severe irritation in some individuals. Even if you don’t have any issues right now, repeated exposure to these compounds could lead to skin sensitivity, rashes, and allergic reactions down the road.
- Damage to Clothing - One of the most common signs of aluminum-based antiperspirants is yellow stains on clothing. While antiperspirants do reduce sweat stains, they do so at the expense of your clothing. You’ll often find that the yellow or off-white stains caused by the aluminum in traditional deodorants are hard or even impossible to wash off.
- Natural Body Processes - Your body is supposed to sweat. It’s how you stay cool when your internal temperature rises. When traditional antiperspirants block sweating, they prevent your body from naturally regulating temperature and even expelling toxins. Moreover, aluminum compounds in antiperspirants can gradually block pores that release sweat, causing recurring irritation.
- Skin pH - Your skin is slightly acidic, which helps maintain a barrier against harmful bacteria and pathogens. Alcohol disrupts the natural pH of your skin, making it more susceptible to bacterial growth and imbalance.
The Best Natural Deodorant For Men
When it comes to natural deodorants, Anthony’s Alcohol-Free Deodorant is the top choice for men. Not only does it effectively combat body odor using natural ingredients, but it also won’t leave residue on your clothes. The clinically proven results show that Anthony’s Alcohol-Free Deodorant is gentle on the skin and far less likely to cause irritation or allergies. This means you can enjoy the benefits of clean, all-natural ingredients without sacrificing the efficacy of your deodorant. If you’re currently in the market for a quality natural deodorant for men, consider trying out Anthony’s Alcohol-Free Deodorant!
Want to learn even more about natural deodorant for men? If so, be sure to check out the great products and solutions available at Anthony today!