Shaving can feel like a chore, but when we rush through an incomplete shaving routine the results can be dreadful and cause ingrown hairs, an uneven shave, and irritated skin. Below we outline an ideal shaving routine and some extra tips that will help you achieve the perfect shave each time.
- Start with a pre shave to soften scruff.
- Evenly apply a shave cream or shave gel based on your preference.
- Use a clean, sharp razor to remove the hair. Shave with the grain for a close shave that doesn’t irritate.
- Optional: Apply an ingrown hair treatment to prevent ingrown hairs.
- Use an after shave to reduce razor burn and restore moisture, OR use a facial moisturizer instead if you used the ingrown hair treatment.
- Make sure to regularly use a conditioning beard wash if you like to keep on some facial hair. This will help cleanse both your facial hair and your skin.
Tips and Tricks
- Always use a high-quality razor. Make sure to thoroughly clean and care for your razor to ensure longevity and avoid rust.
- Use warm water on your skin before your shave. Consider shaving after a nice, warm shower or after washing your skin with warm water. You can also shave in the shower.
- Regularly exfoliate your skin to help reduce the likelihood of ingrown hairs.
- Consider a shave kit to get all the essentials at once and save money on your shaving routine.
- Take your time! Make sure to do even strokes and to get every area. Rushing a shave will end up costing you more time in the long run as the shave will not last as long, and you will constantly be needing to touch it up.
Keep your skin moisturized post-shave. Pay attention to how your skin reacts and re-apply any after shave products as needed. Make sure to use a hydrating facial lotion daily.
Photo by Murs Alison